Monday, November 28, 2011

This.is.serious.


Very, very serious!
The following post is my secret weapon.
I have about 3 secret weapons, this is the most closely guarded.

My secret weapon is Molasses Cookies.

They are loved by all, even if you don't know it yet...you love these cookies.
It's very important to follow the directions just as they say. If you leave out anything they don't come out just so. They are not hard, just specific. Ok, you ready??

Molasses Crinkle Cookies
1 cup very soft butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup your choice molasses*
1/2 cup dry milk powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour

*You may not be a health food store freak like me, so let me explain. There are a ton of different kinds of molasses. Molasses are GREAT for you. For me, when my iron is low I try to add a bit of molasses to my diet. I like molasses milk instead of chocolate milk! ANYWHO, use the molasses you like! It's amazing how very different the cookies taste with different types of molasses. If you are new to molasses I suggest you just use a random variety from the grocery (Like Karo would be fine). If you are a molasses pro, go with the blackstrap molasses. Your cookies will be SOOO moist and rich! But I think if you're not used to the rich, thick blackstrap molasses it might be shocking for you.*


Let's get started!

Cream the butter and brown sugar until it's smooth. The softer the butter the easier this will be.

Just beat until well incorporated.

I always have dry milk powder at home. I have found no other use for it than the cookies!

Add your dry milk, egg and molasses. Mix those well.

Add your baking soda, salt and spices. Then add your flour a little at a time. Dough should be very stiff.

Now, put the dough in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Longer would be better. You want this dough super cold. If you try to roll out the dough before it's cold, you will regret it.

See the difference? It is so easy after the dough is cold.
Here's what you do:

Spoon out some dough and roll into a ball. I took these cookies to a gathering, so I went with a teaspoon of dough for easy pick up. They are beautiful cookies, they always come out looking perfect and not all crazy shaped.

You roll the cookies in granulated sugar.

Then place about 2 inches apart on your sprayed cookie sheet!

Put a drop of water on each cookie. Here's what I do, I put my finger in water and just put a little indent in the cookie. It makes them come out perfectly shaped. Not alot of water here, just a drop.
Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes!

MMMM, sooo good!
They are truly delicious!
They are what the hubs wanted after Basic!


Molasses Crinkle Cookies
1 cup very soft butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup your choice molasses*
1/2 cup dry milk powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour

Preheat to 375˚

Cream the butter and brown sugar.
Add dry milk, egg and molasses, mix well.
Add baking soda, salt and spices. Add flour gradually.
Beat until it has a dough like consistency.
Put dough in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
Spoon out dough and roll into a ball and then roll in granulated sugar until coated.
Put on cookie sheet and add a drop of water on each cookie.
Bake for 10-12 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. These look great! I've never seen a recipe call for the drop of water trick before. You know how much I love spice cookies - I may have to try these this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what it is but without the water it's just not the same! I can't wait to try your Czech cookies. I thought I could fit them in for Thanksgiving but I ran out of time!

    ReplyDelete