Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What are you burning wife?

Is N.O.T. an appropriate greeting, just for future reference.
Today I ventured way further than I was prepared for.
BUT, I will only tell you about the good part :)

Today was a homemade Apple Pie!
Description in five words or less: Exhausting but worth it!


Don't forget to go ahead and add the lemon juice and sugar as your peeling!


See how it thickens up so beautifully!
*The recipe called for you 8 or 9 minutes, I did a little less. I liked the apples a little firmer than mushy*


Yes, that's an ice cream scoop in the Crisco...don't hate!


Recipe called for you to get this grainy consistency with "pea-size bits of butter" and not to wait until it's a dough ball.
*I must tell you, next time I might try a different kind of dough all together. This was a little more bread-like than I think it should have been. It was good, but I was expecting more flaky and pastry consistency.*



Sticky sticky! Have lots of flour at the ready. This was very thick! It took some serious mushin' and squishin' to get it in the pie dish.


Don't ask how long it took to clean my tiny kitchen after this.


AHHH, golden brownness!
*See what I mean about the bread-yness of the crust?


No one was slapped in the tasting of this, but it was close.

It was good. I would love to try this with a combination of Gala apples and a nice tart green apple of some variety. This dough would be great on something, just not this I don't think. It was good together, but I think that with a flaky crust this would be outstanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment