Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Peevish

So I have this thing...this peevish thing.
I cannot stand for both of my hands to be dirty at the same time. EWW, I hate it. Washing dishes, with both my hands in the water is like my kryptonite.
I have in fact been known to (while kneading) put one hand behind my back, just in case there is a little splashish.
It's a compulsion, it grosses me out.
Well, today I made English Muffins. I kneaded with both hands...it's a step.
Heating up the flour. I put it in the microwave for about a minute and half. I think that was a bit too long. Next time I'll do it for about a minute.


Take a look at my little attack of genius. I stuck everything on this platter so that I didn't have little clouds of flour everywhere!


Yes, yes my friends...I put both my hands in that....uggg


I don't have a cast iron pan, I think that effected the done-ness of my muffins. If you have a cast iron pan, definately use that.


Delicious English Muffins!!
Recipe follows out of the cleverly named The Bread Book:


You will need:
3 cups of white bread flour
3/4 cup of all purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 envelope active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1 cup of lukewarm water
2/3 cup of lukewarm milk

Yeast, sugar and half the water. Follow the ingredients on the envelope to make the yeast frothy.
Mix both flours and salt. Heat the flour (I know...strange). In the oven at 250 or in the microwave the a minute to a minute and a half.
Add frothy yeast, milk and the rest of the water to the warm flour.
Mix well.
Knead on a floured service with floured hands until it's no longer sticky.
Seperate into the size muffins you would like and put on a cookie sheet.
Let sit for 30 minutes.
In a cast iron pan over medium to medium high heat add the muffins. For 10-12 minutes minute on each side.
*I would keep it to medium or less and lengthen the time in the pan. My outsides got done before the inside.

These delightful little muffins grew up to be the base for PW's Tuna Melts. MMM Good!

1 comment:

  1. Look at you, Ms Thang! Homemade English Muffins!?!?! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete