Sunday, July 17, 2011

Teamwork

I love to cook with my husband. He tells me that he likes cooking with me...so we'll go with that.
Quick story...I decorate cakes.
Husband decided one afternoon, rather late that he wanted me to decorate a birthday cake for someone for the next afternoon. He also had a very specific cake in mind. He needed it to look exactly like a certain firetruck. WHAT?!?!?!?
Cake wasn't built in a day!
So I told him if he would help me make it that we'd get it done.
Husband likes to tell people that it's the hardest he's ever worked in his life :)
He was an excellent sous chef and actually went on to offer his services later as well!
Anywho, moving on...
Tonight we got to cook together.
While he was away, playing soldier, Sunday was my day to be creative in the kitchen. I spent all afternoon just throwing ingredients together and hoping for the best.
I am pleased to say that I get to cook every night now. That was one of the things that I was so looking forward to. AND since the hubs gets home before late he gets to help some too.
But on the weekends we plan out in advance what we'll work on. This Sunday was pizza and "something."
Ham and Pinapple Pizza starts out with...

Don't you love this fantastic little spoon. It came with a bridal shower favor from David and Amy Green. The favor was a cute little mixutre for cookies with these fantastic spoons with measurements such as "A Heap of Love" instead of Tablespoon!
First we had to make the crust. I wanted to use Emily's from over at a Tasty Life, BUT I looked down at the time and factored in letting the yeast do it's thing for two hours and had run out of time. So I had to use a yeast free crust.
I was a little worried about this crust, but it turned out great. You have to work it a little bit, but it's not sticky at all.

Work hubs, work it out!


While I worked on the toppings
Hubs was prepping the crust:




Husband was a bit concerned because this pizza did not involve pepperoni. I have been trying to get him to understand that pizza can have anything on it. This first "weird" pizza was not all that weird.

Before...
AFTER!



The crust was just perfect. It was crispy on the outside and delicious and the perfect consistency on the inside. Next time, we'll probably work it a little longer so that it's a little thinner. But I was pleasantly surprised by this really simple crust.

Our plates stacked up like this.
PIZZA PIZZA!
Brussel Sprouts (that were steamed and then backed in a little alfredo sauce)
Eggplant (that was dredged, bread crumbed and sauteed in a little EVOO with a side o' marinara!)




No comments:

Post a Comment