Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I'll stir fry you in my wok

Ok, so I used to have a wok but no longer.
I did however make a delicious stir fry tonight!

I modified this from Real Simple.

This Ginger, Beef and Veggies Stir-Fry was just what the doctor ordered!
Here's what you'll need:
3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons all purpose flour
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp chili garlic sauce
14 ounces of low sodium vegetable broth
2 tsp sesame oil
1 cup scallions
2 tbsp peeled, minced fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb boneless sirloin steak cut in strips (1/4 inch-ish)
1 cup bell pepper strips


Taste your hot sauce, see how much you think you can take. I went with a tsp and a half. I could have gone with 2 tsp's I think. I could taste the heat a little in and around but I think I could have taken a little more heat.


Combine your first 5 items (soy sauce, flour, oyster sauce, chili, garlic sauce and broth) and whisk together well.

I got a deal on some scallions a while back so I chopped them all and froze them. It works great!

Heat a tsp of sesame oil along with the scallions, ginger and garlic. Just until they have sizzled for a few seconds!

I liked the thicker cuts the best because I only cooked long enough for them to be about medium. The thinner one cooked super fast.

This took no time at all, 5 minutes or less then remove from pan.

I almost drained the liquid, please don't! You're going to want all that goodness later!

Into your pan add a tsp of sesame oil, your bell pepper, the last 3/4 cup of scallions and 5 cups (about 1 1/4 lb) of veggies. I have sweet peas and green beans. (It would be equally delicious with water chestnuts or snow peas or broccoli.)
On medium-high heat cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add your broth mixture and beef back to the pan. Bring to a boil.
Cook another minute or so and remove from heat.
Serve over rice. (I used brown rice)

This was ohhhh so delicious! Like I said before, I could have added a little more hot, but it was really great. This took about 30 minutes total, prep and all. This was so good and it made a ton of food, it will easily make two meals for the Brantley's. I will freeze the leftovers  to enjoy later when I don't feel like cooking. It's so much better for you than take out, and so very delicious. The sauce was just the right amount of ginger and garlic and saltiness. That complimented the sweet of the peas quite nicely.
My only complaint about this dish was that it took too long to cool so I could eat it!





No comments:

Post a Comment