Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The little things

Today, over at the other blog I shared one of the little things abour Army wife life that I love.

Another one is that I can cook whenever I want. If I want to drag out all my pots and pans for a lunch, I just do it! I don't have to wait until dinner time to get all cookish and have fun! I love that!

Today I had a great side for lunch that I'll be adding to the make again stack.

I adapted this recipe from Real Simple.

Here's what you need for your Three Bean Salad:
3 cans of assorted beans (I used Kidney, Black and Garbanzo)
2 small celery stalks finely chopped
1/4 finely chopped onion
1 cup of finely chopped herbs (really whatever you like I used half cilantro and half parsley)
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 (or less) EVOO


I love beans, I always have plenty in the pantry. I try very hard to have the reduced sodium versions.
Be sure and rinse the beans really well. You don't want all the gunk in the bottom of the can.

Oh how lovely! I love all beans, but garbanzo beans are my favorite!

Chop all your veggies and herbs pretty small, it makes for a well rounded easy bite!

Here we have our chopped veggies and beans!

Add in your herbs and drizzle in your EVOO and add your lemon juice.
I love to add lemon juice to things where you would normally add an italian dressing or even heavy mayo (like pasta salad or tuna salad) it adds such a great flavor and give you a totally different feel to the recipe.

Oh boy! This is so good. That lemon juice totally makes it, not to mention the cilantro!
I paired this with a fantastic Roast Beef sandwich for lunch.
It would also be great if you added some corn!
I can eat this all week, it has plenty of protein, iron and tons of flavor!
AND, it's so easy, you don't even need to turn on the stove. It's a one pot wonder!





No comments:

Post a Comment