Saturday, January 7, 2012

Let's Dutch Oven this thing

So I wanted to find a recipe that used as many new Christmas kitchen items as possible so I found this fantastic PW recipe for Beef Stew with Mushrooms.

This is my first time using a dutch oven. I've wanted one for a while but I never really thought about what I would make with this contraption. I was a bit skeptical because you cook on high (which the hubs loves but doesn't quite understand) and because I'm generally not a fan of anything that isn't dishwasher safe.

I've got to tell you, I believe I'm a fan of the dutch oven. I still want to try a few more recipes to get a better feel for it but so far, so good. It washes up quite brilliantly. The dutch oven that I have is enameled so I can use soap whereas I couldn't with a straight cast iron one.

OK, here's what you need:

2 lbs (ish) sirloin meat, cubed
2 tbsp flour
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp evoo
2 shallots, grated
5 cloves garlic, grated
1 8 ounce package mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup red wine (I used Shiraz)
1 can beef consomme
2 sprigs thyme
cooked pasta


Try to get the meat all the same size. You can find "stew meat" in the grocery store already cubed. While your butter and evoo are heating in the dutch oven, add the flour to the meat and toss well.


Over high heat sear the meat. You'll want to do this in batches so that the meat has room to move around. Just a quick sear is all you want here, you'll finish the cooking process later.

I love shallots. If you haven't used them before, give them a try. They have a lovely onion flavor but it's different enough for them to have their own distinction. If you don't like them or maybe can't find one you can easily sub a small onion here.

I wanted the flavor to float around all lovely and evenly so I choose to grate the shallot and garlic. It only takes a second more. If you have someone that doesn't like the idea of garlic or onion you can slip it by them this way!

Reduce the heat to medium highish.
Leave all those beautiful brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add your grated mixture. It comes out to this paste consistency. Stir those around for a couple of minutes then add the mushrooms.

I choose to use sliced mushrooms, small whole mushrooms would be good too. I am using baby bella's here.

Add your consomme and wine. I added a half can of water too. Bring to boil then add salt and pepper to taste.

Add your meat back in along with all those lovely juices that have collected in the plate.
Reduce to simmer and add thyme.
Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add 2 tbsp of flour and let thicken.


I served this over whole wheat pasta I made. (I haven't perfected the pasta making yet, when I do I'll show you).

This was fantastic. The meat was so tender. The gravy/sauce was so tasty. If you're feeling a bit skeptical about adding the wine, you can't taste it at all. It helps break down the meat and helps it to be so tender.
This would be good served over rice, but I think next time I make this I'll put it over mashed potatoes. That would be really good. The potatoes would soak up all the goodness.

This goes in the good stack!















1 comment:

  1. This looks so good - especially that gravy/sauce! And when you've perfected your pasta, you'll have to give me instructions - Matt's mom gave us a pasta maker (she found it in a garage sale!) over Christmas!

    ReplyDelete