Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I'm stealing this!

So, I totally stole this from Rachel. So I must give her the credit. It looked so delicious that I had to make it and show you! Rachel has a printable recipe on her page, so you can hop over there and print this out. *I'm still working on having a "Printable Recipe" page.

We're making Ginger Pork Potstickers a la Guy Fieri! I love his Diners, Drive-ins and Dives but this is my first Guy recipe.

Here's what you need:

1 lb ground pork
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
2 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic (I use about 2 cloves)
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp sesame oil
wonton wrappers




Do all your chop choppin! I love to chop, I could chop all day. Alot of folks love those little gadgets that make the chopping faster and some even make it possible to chop something without ever touching it. I'm not a gadget girl, I personally love eau de gahhhlic :)

Brown everything to a lovely brown color :)
You could very easily sub ground turkey or beef or chicken here. The hubs is not a fan of pork so next time I'll probably go with turkey.
Remove from heat and add in your soy sauce, sesame oil and S&P. Sit aside to cool.

OK, get some water to boiling for later. I used a deep sauce pan. But you could use one of those lovely oval pasta pans too.
Now the hubs was starving so I was in a hurry *plus he offered to help* didn't wait as long as I probably should have for the filling to cool BUT I didn't have any problems at all.

You need a small bowl of water and a pastry brush. If you don't have a pastry brush just use your fingers.
You are going to brush the outside 1/2 inch of two perpendicular sides of your wrapper.

Fill your wrapper! I used a tsp and just messed around with how much I could use. Don't overfill!

Fold over and roughly line up the edges. It doesn't have to be perfect.

*The hubs did an excellent job of photo documenting this. You could flip through them and see me moving...lol. As a result you're getting a very thorough wonton wrapper tutorial*


 
Make sure you squeeze the edges together REALLY good. It's pretty easy for these little boogers to come apart in the boiling water. It really doesn't take long to do this. It seems more in depth than it really is. I set the cutting board up with four at a time and did them like that. *This next part is alot easier with two people. It runs smoother like that. I did the wonton's and the hubs did the boiling. (Yvette, I bet BJ would be an excellent wonton wrapper guy!)

Heat up a small pan with a little of that sesame oil you have. If not, EVOO or canola is fine.
Drop them (a few at a time) into boiling water. You want them to be able to move around so don't over fill your pot. But don't worry because they only stay in the water for one minute then you fish them out. So the process doesn't take long at all. *Remember how the hubs was starving and I was in a hurry? Well I skipped the next step.* You are supposed to let them sit on a cooling rack for a while to dry off a bit. I just let them drain a few seconds and them put them in the pan (I missed the photo!).

Drop them into the hot pan with the sesame oil and let them get a delicious browned color.

Serve with some soy sauce for dipping and you're in business!

I happen to think that if it involves ginger and soy sauce it could be a shoe and I'd love it. BUT, this was really great. The hubs would have liked it better if it wasn't pork but I'm a pork fan. This is pretty versatile too so you could add in some carrots or something and sneak it past the kids. PLUS, who doesn't like to eat with chopsticks?!?! And if you don't have chopsticks, who doesn't like to eat with their fingers?!?!

They are also good even if they aren't steaming hot so it would be a great recipe to take to a party. They warm up better than you would thing, but you could also just save (or freeze) the filling to use for later. This makes a ton of wonton's so ask a friend to come over too.


2 comments:

  1. Steal away! I love anything in a wonton wrapper :) (p.s. I'm wondering why I show up in your followers twice...I changed my profile picture this morning - maybe that's why? I hope that hasn't happened to every blog I follow!! Yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! My goal is to make my way through the world with dumplings...lol. I don't know, but if it makes you feel better you only show up once on my end!

      Delete