Thursday, August 11, 2011

Trudge On

So while making Tex Mex Pork Casserole, it became apparent that I was really not meant to make this recipe at all...but alas I stupidly trudged on.
I would like to start this by saying that Research and Development picked this recipe out. He also read the recipe and assured me that we were only missing one ingredient...
I did not have cumin, tomato paste, enough black beans, the taco sauce, adobo, jalepeno peppers, nor serrano peppers.
For real?
Yep?
After I got together everything I did actually have I took a quick trip to Wal-Mart (which is like a half mile away).
Wal-Mart had no jalepeno's. I'm not a fan of the hot, so I really have no idea how to substitute peppers. Most other veggies I can figure out what I can sub to keep the recipe pretty close to original. The only peppers they had were serrano's (which were already called for) and Poblano. I have seen Bobby Flay mess with Poblano's, that's the extent of my knowledge. I got them anyway.
At some point after I messed with both of these peppers, I touched my face. I now type with a red, swollen face. I have learned a couple things.
#1. Having to google "Peppers burning skin" makes one feel stupid.
#2. Taking a bath in milk does too.
#3. Don't use water.
#4. Milk does help for a few minutes.
#5. When husband gets home he will not laugh and he will hear about this...

On a side note I am currently having a love affair with the crockpot. If this affair continues I might trade my old simple one for a new fancy one ;)

Ok, to the recipe:

Tex Mex Pork Casserole
2 lbs pork tenderloin cut in 1 inch cubes
1tbsp chili poiwder
1/2 tsp cumin
1tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 serrano pepper, minced
1/2 chicken broth
1.2 taco sauce
2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed

Combine cubes of pork with chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper and mix well
In a skillet with olive oil, brown pork (about 5 or 6 minutes)
In crock pot put onion, garlic and serrano pepper. Add browned pork and chicken broth.
Mix.
Top with Taco Sauce (*recipe to follow) and black beans.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Taco Sauce
1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
2 cups water or chicken broth (I did half and half)
1/4 grated onion
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced (couldn't find this)
1 tbsp adobo sauce
1tbsp corn syrup
1 jalepeno pepper, minced (had to use poblano)
1/2 cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Conbine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until thickened (10-15 minutes).
Honestly, it took a little longer than 6 minutes for me to be happy with the brownness of the pork.

I love that you just dump and leave it alone.

The Taco Sauce is really great. I will definately use it again for other things.

Served with real live mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.

SO I thought this was going to be super spicy, but it wasn't. The pork tenderloin was so tender that I couldn't stick it with a fork, I had to scoop it. I added a little extra taco sauce on top and that was tasty. It makes a very thin but tasty gravy.




No comments:

Post a Comment