Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hey, Do you have anymore of those things?

Tonight I feel like I've taken a trip and I'm pretty sure I've offended 3 countries...Here's how!

We're having Zuppa Toscana and Potato Pierogies!!

Only I used Chorizo in both recipes! So we have a little Spain, a little Italy and a little Germany!

Here's my version of Potato and Chorizo Pierogi!

This recipe makes a TON of piergi, I'm going to make a bunch and freeze them for delicious lunch!

For the dough:
  • ¾ cups Mashed Potato
  • 4 cups Flour
  • ¾ cups Butter, Softened
  • 4 whole Egg Yolks
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ¼ cups Sour Cream Plus Extra For Serving
  • ½ cups Water
  • Cut them into "Hunky Taters" (that's what my aunt calls them)...

    ...and boil them for a while with some salt until they are soft enough to mush.

    I am a fan of the skin on the potatoes, so I left them. I smushed them all up (no milk, cream or butter!)


    Here we have the flour, smushed up potatoes, egg yolks, salt and butter.

    Add sour cream.

    Add the water a little at a time, you're not going to need all of it. I used less than a 1/4 cup.
    Mix well, but it should be a little sticky.

    Wrap it up in cling wrap and stick it in the fridge. Dough is always easier to work with if it's chilled a little.

    While it's chilling, start on the filling!

    Filling:
    1 1/2 cups of smushed potatos
    1 link of chorizo sausage
    1 whole onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 shallot


    Chop, chop! Saute with the chorizo.

    Remove the Chorizo from the casing and brown.

    When you brown it, drain and set to the side.

    Chop and saute the onion in the same pan.

    Mix the potatoes, sausage and onions. Mix, mix, mix!
    Let it cool!

    Roll out the dough into 1/8 inch thick and then cut using a biscuit cutter.



    Fill with potato mixture and pinch together. (I forgot to take a picture of that part!)

    Put the pierogi into a pot of boiling water. Just a few at a time to give them room to dance around. When they float up to the top, they are ready for the next step.
    From the hot tub into the pan!

    In a little olive oil just fry enough to brown both sides.

    Serve with a dollop of Daisy!

    This is so delicious. It's so creamy and tasty. The sour cream is a great addition. The dough was so surprisingly delicious. I am super excited about this!

    Research and Development said, "Hey, do you have anymore of those little things?"






    No comments:

    Post a Comment