Friday, September 2, 2011

Found them late in life

Do you have a thing that you just LOVE that you found late in life??

My late life find is beets.
Funny story:
When Research and Development was going to take his physical at MEPS he was worried about his BP. He read somewhere that beet juice was really good for lowering BP. SO off I go on a search for beets. He says he needs 3 pounds to make the beet juice (oh boy).
I get the 3 pounds of beets home and he reads that it's possible to go blind from beet juice! So now I have 3 pounds of beets to do something with...uggg.

Turns out I love beets!

Here's my favorite:
Roasted Beets
Beets
Olive Oil
S&P

Cut the tops off (save them!) Someone asked me about does the beet bleed all it's color out? I have no idea, this is just how I do it.

Leave the skin on. In a dish put enough olive oil to cover the beets then dust with S&P. Cover

Look at this beautiful dish. Don't you love it? The Mama-in-law gave it to me for Christmas one year!
Cook on 350 for at least 45 minutes. You can leave it longer, but for sure at least that long.

Look at that beautiful color!
Now remember we left the skin on. Now that it's cooked all you have to do is lightly rake a fork down the side and the skin slides right off.

With the greens that you saved off the tops of the beets. Wash, tear into bite sized pieces and wilt down (like spinach) with Olive Oil and S&P. Soooo delicious. More flavorful than spinach. You have your two beautiful colored veggies from the same plant!







No comments:

Post a Comment